Sunday 11 November 2007

SYW Prussian Hussar 3 - Regiment No. 5 the Black or Death Hussars


In contrast to the previous two colourful uniforms this is the all black uniformed 5th Hussars, with their notorious skull and crossbones badge on the front of the mirliton, a similar design to which survived as late as World War 1 on the furcap of German hussars. The mirliton is shown with its wing "unfurled".

Squadrons of this regiment fought on almost all fronts of the European theatre in the Seven Years War.

Again, the actual template is here: http://www.woodward.toucansurf.com/SYW/SYWPrussian5thHussarRegtBlackorDeath-DM1.png because of the problem with the blog increasing the size and colour depth of images over a certain size.

Monday 19th November: Image slightly modified and improved.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there David,

    Well, if your initial hussar templates were good, these recently redone models are truly something to behold, especially those you've colored. I think I might just have to paint a unit of each in the historical uniforms and just give them fictitious names. Can't think of "how" I'd actually be able to improve on these! Ah, you just can't keep a good hussar down. By the way, have you ever read Conan Doyle's Brigadier Gerard (Glorious Hussar) stories? They're great fun.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Stokes. I must confess to thinking they are rather nice myself! I think you should definitely go ahead and do that. :-)

    I've not (yet) done a coloured version of the Black hussar as separating the areas of black on e.g. the pelisse (black fur and black coat) is problematic; I'd probably need to use various shades of dark grey and haven't had the time to experiment yet.

    I've loved those Gerard stories since I was a boy; they were all part of the Napoleonic mania I had and which got me into wargaming in the first place, in the late 1960s, along with a friend who also loved the period (he very sadly died suddenly aged only 40 12 years ago). So it has enormous nostalgia appeal to me too - and I still do like the period very much anyway... I do wish the wonderful variety of 1/72nd plastic Napoleonic figures had been available then - all we had was a small choice of Airfix Napoleonics so had to try all sorts of conversion techniques, many very unsuccessful. I still have most of the figures somewhere. Ah nostalgia...

    ReplyDelete

Saturday 6th June 2020 I've decided to allow comments from Anonymous Users but I'll still be moderating posts, as I'm sure the spam will probably flood in now! We'll see...